Lesson 1: Making an Appointment—Dialogue I
In this lesson, you will learn how to make a phone call or appointment and how to use functional expressions in conversations. The grammar sections will introduce the preposition gěi (to, for), the verb zài (to be present, to be located), the auxiliary verb yào (will), and the conjunction yàoshi (if). The cultural notes will describe aspects of Chinese etiquette.
After completing this lesson, you should be able to accomplish the following:
- Use the functional expressions wèi (hello), méi wèntí (no problem), xièxie (thanks), duìbuqǐ (sorry), and bú kèqi (you are welcome) in conversations.
- Use fāngbiàn (convenient) and yǒu kòng (free time) in sentences.
- Use the preposition gěi (to, for) and its negative form to make sentences.
- Use the verb zài (to be present, to be located) and its negative form to make sentences.
- Use the auxiliary verb yào (will) and its negative form to make sentences.
- Use the conjunction yàoshi (if) to make conditional sentences.
- Use yǐhòu or yǐqián to make sentences.
- Use the measure words jié, mén, and wèi.
- Talk about Chinese etiquette.
- Memorize and reproduce basic Chinese characters.
English Grammar for Students of Chinese
In addition to the pages below, the commentary will reference other pages; the book will be a very helpful resource as you complete the course.
- Chapter 1, pages 1-8
- Chapter 9, pages 31-34
Integrated Chinese (textbook)
- Making Appointments, Sections 1-3, pages 140-155
Your lesson commentary refers to specific pages within this textbook. There will be assignments from the workbook at the end of the lesson. Sound files for the course are within the lessons.
Before you take the Lesson 1 quiz, test your understanding of the material by completing the study questions for Lesson 1 (linked below). These questions are for practice only and should not be submitted to your instructor for grading.
Note: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader version 6 or higher to view and use all of the features in this lesson's Study Questions document. Visit the Overview page for more information about downloading and installing Acrobat Reader.
Use the audio files below to complete Part I: Listening in the Lesson 1 Study Questions document.
When you can accomplish the learning objectives for this lesson, you should take the online quiz covering this material. This quiz is composed of 22 multiple-choice questions worth 4 points each, for a total of 88 points. Questions will cover listening and comprehension, vocabulary, grammar, and culture. You may use any assigned readings, your notes, and other course-related materials to answer the questions.
Preview this Assignment